When constantly wearing jewellery, you’ll always find a build-up of natural skin oils and dust – two things which can prevent your luxe jewellery from looking its ultimate best. Read on to find out how to take care of your jewellery at home by following our top cleaning tips.
How to clean a necklace chain at home
Necklace chains can be a little tricky to clean at home as they are very delicate pieces of jewellery. But, by following a few simple steps, you can regularly take care of your favourite pieces.
- Mix a mild liquid soap with warm water in a bowl to create a foamy solution. Place the jewellery in the water and leave it to soak.
- Take the jewellery out of the water after several minutes and use a soft cloth to rub the items, making sure you wipe all surface areas. If the jewellery has lots of small details or engravings, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush to give any hard-to-reach areas a good clean.
- Once the dirt has been removed, rinse the items clean in warm water.
- Wipe with a lint-free cloth (you can use the handy polishing cloth that came with your jewellery) and be sure each piece is thoroughly dried before storing it in a jewellery box.
How to clean gold jewellery at home
Follow the method above to clean your gold-plated jewellery at home. In between these deep cleans, buff your jewellery with your handy polishing cloth provided to maintain the luxe shine.
If your gold jewellery needs an extra deep clean, you can use the baking soda method.
- Line a glass bowl with aluminium foil, making sure that the shiny side of the foil faces upwards.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of salt to the bowl, and cover with enough hot water that the powders dissolve and there is enough of the mix to fully submerge your jewellery.
- Add your jewellery to the solution and leave to soak for several minutes. You might notice black and yellow flakes floating away from the jewellery - don’t worry, this is the sulphur, which is attracted to the aluminium and will float towards it. Once you can see that most of the tarnished areas have vanished, remove the jewellery from the bowl and rub it clean with a lint-free cloth.
- Rinse the jewellery in warm running water and dry thoroughly again with a lint-free cloth, it will be as good as new!
How to take care of your silver jewellery at home
Follow the methods above to keep your silver jewellery clean at home. On top of this, make sure that you are careful when applying moisturisers and perfumes, as they can contain chemicals and oils that may cause any of your jewellery to tarnish. It’s best to apply these beauty products several minutes before putting on your jewellery, allowing them to soak in and avoid damaging your favourite accessories.
How to clean your earrings at home
Cleaning your earrings at home is quick and easy, especially if you follow the methods above. Store your jewellery in a safe, dry place when you’re not wearing it, and make sure you regularly clean your earrings between wears for health and safety.
How to clean rings at home
To clean your rings properly at home, follow the methods above and store your jewellery in a safe, dry place when you’re not wearing it. As we mentioned above, avoid using moisturiser at the same time as wearing your rings, ideally, take them off, apply your hand cream then wait for the moisturiser to be absorbed before putting your rings back on.
Discover our collection of luxe gold jewellery and silver jewellery now to find your perfect pieces of jewellery to wear. And if you need more help on how to clean your jewellery at home, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to blog